|Status||Proposed space nation|
• Declaration of creation
|12 October 2016|
|Membership||~577,000 (~166,279 verified)|
Asgardia is a proposed nation based in outer space. The concept is aimed at creating a new framework for how space activities are regulated and owned, "ensuring that the future of space is peaceful and done for the benefit of humankind."
|“||The essence of Asgardia is peace in space, and the prevention of Earth's conflicts being transferred into space.||”|
|— Igor Ashurbeyli, founder of Asgardia.|
The nation proposal was announced on October 12, 2016 by Igor Ashurbeyli, the founder of the Aerospace International Research Centre (Vienna), and Chairman of UNESCO's science of space committee. The initiative's website was requesting people to register for "citizenship" with the aim of applying to the United Nations for recognition as a state. The technical details remain vague.
The organization plans to crowd-source a satellite with an undisclosed payload and launch it in 2017. There are also currently competitions to create the state's flag, insignia and national anthem. On 8th November 2016, a number of flag designs are put up for vote, although submissions are still possible.
The country will be governed by 12 ministries. These will be science; space; youth and education; integration; information and communication; foreign affairs; trade and commerce; finance; safety and security; justice; and a 12th ministry to be chosen suggested by Asgardia's Facebook community. Acting ministers are to be appointed by Ashurbeyli until the first elections, which are planned for June 2017.
At midnight on October 31, 2016 UTC/GMT, registration on the website was put temporarily on hold, until further details were announced by Igor Ashurbeyli on November 12, 2016. All applications made after that point were put on a waiting list.
The announcement from Ashurbeyli on 12 November 2016 noted that: At midnight on 31.10.16 I stopped registrations, since it is now time for the second stage – verifying the registrations to make sure they are unique, there are no bots, underage minors without permission, etc. In order to do this, you will be asked to create a personal profile. Those who confirm their identity will get a special certificate with their unique Asgardian number and a symbol of Asgardia.
On December 20th 2016, an official Asgardian forum was created. An announcement on the Asgardia website stated that the forum is being staffed by volunteers, who formerly ran the official Asgardia Facebook groups.
- "Asgardia.Anthem". Asgardia. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Asgardia". Asgardia. 20 December 2016.
- "Scientists propose space nation named 'Asgardia' and cosmic shield to protect Earth from asteroids". The Telegraph. 12 October 2016. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Scientists plan to create 'Asgardia' nation state in space". BBC News. BBC. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Scientists unveil plan for space nation . Michael Stothard, Financial Times. 12 October 2016
- O'Neill, Ian (18 October 2016). "Asgardia: Probably Not Humanity's Protector". Space.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Will you become a citizen of Asgardia, the first nation state in space?". The Guardian. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Asgardia.Flag". Asgardia. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Asgardia.Insignia". Asgardia. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Flag Concepts". Asgardia. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Government". Asgardia. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Igor Ashurbeyli's Address to Asgardians". November 12, 2016. Retrieved November 15, 2016.
- "Registration". Asgardia. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Address to Asgardians". Asgardia.
- "Asgardia Forum". Asgardia.
- Asgardia, Project's web site.
- Asgardia official forum.
- Status of International Agreements relating to Activities in Outer Space (list of state parties to treaty), UN Office for Outer Space Affairs.